What to do if you are in an accident
J & J Auto Inc has gone to Geico's Web Site and added a bit to their ideas of what to do after an accident. There are hundreds of these lists on the web, so do your homework.
This is only a guide. You should use common sense based on your skills, the situation at hand, etc., in taking any action. You may also want to talk to your insurance agent and see if they have a check list of what they want you to do or not do if an accident occurs.
We have removed Geico's advertisements. Sorry Geico.
1) Stay at the scene in a safe place to gather information.
2) Evaluate if it is safer to move vehicles off the road or leave them where they sit.
3) Check on the medical status of all parties involved in the accident. If appropriate, call for help: 911 works pretty well!
4) Do not admit fault and do not discuss your coverage limits.
5) Exchange your pertinent information as listed below.
6) It is a great idea to use your camera phone to take pictures of the following:
a) Damage (vehicles and/or property)
b) Accident scene (road conditions/skid marks/debris in roadway/vehicle positions)
c) Accident scene location identifiers (intersection/address/exit number)
d) Identification (clear photos of insurance cards, license plates, etc.)
a) Names, phone numbers, addresses and e-mail addresses of all vehicle occupants, including the number of persons in the other car(s)
b) Names, phone numbers, addresses and e-mail addresses of all potential witnesses
c) Location (intersection/address/exit number)
d) Company name, policy number and phone number for other insurance companies
8) If emergency services respond, record the following:
a) Police department, police report number, phone number, officer name, badge number
b) ambulance company
c) fire department
d) The name of the hospital injured parties are being taken to.
9) Make sure you call your parents/spouse/boss and tell them why you are late!!!
10) Report the accident to your insurance provider as soon as possible.
And of course, if you are around Clare, Mt. Pleasant or Big Rapids Michigan when your accident occurs, call J & J Auto to pick up your vehicle for Collision and Mechanical Repair at 989.644.8908. (Sorry for the shameless plug!) By the way, J & J Auto will not be held responsible for your actions, or lack thereof, before, during or after an accident. We can only advise you on fixing your car!
Site web master Destiny Solutions LLC